Lafayette artists are learning about the power of the arts to transmit joy, transform sorrow, change minds, and heal hearts! In Lafayette’s art studio classroom we are not only learning about the elements, principles and media of the visual arts, but are using the arts to gain a greater understanding, depth and richness of language arts, math, science and social studies curricula. We are hoping learning in and through the arts at Lafayette nurtures lifelong learners and creators!

Saturday, October 15, 2011

10 museums- 2 days

Time to feed the art teacher!
DAY 1: My father, James McLaughlin, was an integral part of the Phillips Collection for half a century and the curator of the museum in the last years of his life. Each year around this time, an exhibit of artwork created by the museum staff is held in his memory. I always love revisiting the Phillips, where I spent many hours as a child and as a museum assistant when I was a young adult. The staff, many of whom are working artists or art students, were celebrated in this annual tradition... my father would have been proud!
DAY 2: The art teachers in DCPS spent our Professional Development Day at workshops held by 10 DC area museums and networking with other art teachers around the city... all held in the spectacular Kogod Courtyard at the American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery! An inspirational way to spend the rainy day.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Laurie,

    I am a DC art teacher in my third year and also a gallery educator at the Phillips Collection. This is the first year I have participated in the staff show and was stunned to read that your father is James McLaughlin! I hope we get a chance to connect at the next art PD.

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting! I thought the staff show was really wonderful this year... your job sounds like a great balance of museum and studio art education! I'd like to hear more about how it works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great to hear! I will be seeing the staff show for the first time on Thursday. Working as a gallery educator at the Phillips has been an absolute joy, I love the intelligent, artistic, calming atmosphere there. I can't imagine growing up around the Phillips, but I can imagine how it has shaped you as an art teacher. Just reading your short bio I would love to hear more about your teaching experience with DCPS (as well as growing up with the Phillips). Feel free to email me at my dc.gov email address (ellen.stedtefeld).

    ReplyDelete